Adrienne

Adrienne

Friday, July 16, 2010

Ratatouille page 503

We are at a family reunion at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. Last night was our turn to cook and we planned a dinner for 15. The menu was as follows;

kale on crostini
herb and garlic encrusted rack of lamb
roasted baby potatoes
Ethiopian black eye peas
ratatouille

We decided to take this opportunity to try JC recipe for ratatouille, page 503. The result was a sweet vegetable blend with a nice, rich sauce. It was time consuming. She recommends cooking the peppers and onions together and the zucchini and eggplant together. Then you peel and seed tomatoes before layering everything.

The only change I made to the original is that I used red peppers instead of green and I cubed them instead of slicing them. I feel certain that if red peppers were as widely available then as they are now, Julia would have preferred them, too.

Adrienne


2 comments:

  1. I just knew that you would be the first to post and I just can't wait to see what the other "sisters" post. I have so many of your mother's favorite recipes but my favorites must be creme wafers. I've been making them at Valentines Day every year since you shared the recipe with me in 1976.

    So excited about the blog and looking forward to being a "ball" er!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so delicious....pictures! pictures! I will have to try Julia's Ratatouille!

    Happy Cooking!
    Lilly

    ReplyDelete